Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship
Dear Fellowship Applicant:
We are so pleased that you have chosen a fellowship in Obstetric Anesthesiology!
In order to provide more consistency and predictability to the Obstetric Anesthesiology fellowship application process, the Obstetric Anesthesiology programs participate in a match process provided by SF Match for recruitment.
How to Apply for OB Anesthesiology Fellowship
- Email each program of interest directly. Contact information can be found in the SOAP Fellowship Directory or on the program’s individual website.
- Take note of each program’s specifications. Most programs use the SOAP common application. Some programs require supplementary questions. Please see the information following item no. 5.
- Register as an applicant to Obstetric Anesthesiology fellowship on SFMatch.org. Your application fee is a flat rate of $50, regardless of how many programs you are applying to.
- Please note the program rank list deadline during your application cycle.
- In some cases, you may be eligible to commit to a program with an exception agreement, which is done after registration on SFMatch.org. These agreements are initiated by the program director, and not the applicant. Further details on the SF Match are below.
Obstetric Anesthesiology Common Application
Obstetric Anesthesiology Common Application Supplementary Questions
In order to provide more consistency and predictability to the Obstetric Anesthesiology fellowship application process, the Obstetric Anesthesiology programs participate in a match process provided by SF Match for recruitment. This policy has been in place as of November 15, 2019, for the 2021-2022 academic year.
Applicants and programs will participate by registering with SF Match, and applicants apply to the programs of their choice. Both programs and applicants will submit a rank list based on their preferences. Notably, only programs where an applicant has interviewed can be listed in this process.
Each program will accept the fellow candidate’s application separately. Most programs (but not all) are using the common application on the SOAP website. The SF Match program will not be involved in processing applications, only the rank list and match process.
Submission Deadline for Exception Agreements: Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 at 11:59AM PDT
Submission of Rank List: Tuesday, June 16th, 2020
Match Day: Tuesday, June 23rd, 2020
Exceptions to the standard match process have been agreed upon by the SOAP OB Anesthesia Fellowship Committee allowing an exception agreement to occur between an applicant and program at the program director’s discretion, in the following situations:
- Applicants who are in active military service at the time of application.
- Internal candidates, i.e. applicants who are currently in the anesthesiology residency program at the same institution as the Obstetric Anesthesiology fellowship.
- Applicants who are making a commitment to come to the institution of the Obstetric Anesthesiology fellowship for more than one year.
- Applicants who are enrolled in an anesthesiology residency outside the USA at the time of the application, and/or who are not eligible for ABA certification due to non-US training.
- Applicants whose spouse or partner is applying for a GME-approved post graduate training program in a medical specialty in the same region as the Obstetric Anesthesiology fellowship.
Please note the following:
Eligible applicants who wish to take advantage of an exception rule are still required to participate in the match ranking process and must complete an exception agreement with their future program director. Any match irregularities will be referred to the SOAP OB Anesthesia Fellowship Committee and SOAP leadership.
The Match Exception Agreement process for the academic year 2021-2022 is now open. Please click here to access the PDF form. Once the form is completed and signed by both Program Director and Applicant, please email email@example.com.
The exception agreement process is tied to the account of each program’s director and your SOAP membership must be active. Upon completion of the exception form, you will receive a confirmation email that the match exception agreement is complete.
The exception agreement process is tied to the account of each program’s director and your SOAP membership must be active. Both Institution and Applicant must complete this exception form together. Upon completion of the PDF form, you will receive a confirmation email that the match exception agreement is complete. The deadline for the exception agreement is Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 at 11:59PM PDT.
Questions? Contact the SOAP Office (U.S.) at 414-389-8611 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Massachusetts General Hospital
New York Presbyterian Hospital – Weill Cornell Medical College
University of Michigan Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship
University of North Carolina