SOAP Presents: The SOAP 52nd Annual Meeting
May 13 – 17, 2020 • Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
The SOAP 2020 Annual Meeting in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada will provide a unique experiential opportunity to learn, connect and have fun. The meeting will be held in the new and beautiful Halifax Convention Centre.
We are delighted to share with you several new features for the 2020 Annual Meeting:
- We have officially integrated the Sol Shnider Meeting into the SOAP Annual Meeting, which means that you will be able to attend new clinical tracks – we are offering 15 clinical refresher courses (30 minutes each) covering the latest in obstetric anesthesia.
- We are launching our 1stJoint ASRA/SOAP Panel at the SOAP Annual Meeting with a topic that should help alleviate some of the headache we face when one of our patients had an accidental dural puncture. A review of the literature on conventional approaches and the role of the sphenopalatine ganglion block in managing post dural puncture headache will be discussed.
- We will have several clinical panels on topics that have not previously been discussed in our meetings:
- Our role as obstetric anesthesiologists in the prevention of postpartum depression: The relationship between labor epidurals, acute pain during cesarean delivery and maternal mental health will be covered by a multidisciplinary panel of experts.
- Our various approaches to uterotonics use for prevention and management of postpartum hemorrhage: We have invited an international panel of 6 experts to share and discuss their practice – this will be a unique panel with surely a lively debate.
- The Research Updates will allow you to meet six journal editors and learn ‘How to design and publish your next study’– in an exciting 90-minute panel.
- We will have a new hybrid platform to showcase the outstanding work and case reports that you will be presenting – our goal is to maximize opportunities for you to share your work in the following formats:
- Plenary presentations (Gertie Marx Research Competition, Best Paper Competition, Best Basic Science Research Competition)
- Electronic posters (3 slides – 10 minute discussions)
- Paper posters (mostly for case-reports)
- We are offering ‘Lunch & Learn’ sessions: these will be round table sessions with experts that will lead practical ‘how to do’ conversations. There will be four Lunch & Learns every day, that you will be invited to register for.
- An outstanding Guest Speaker during the Gala Dinner, Kristen Terlizzi, co-founder of the Accreta Foundation.
As in previous years, we will have SOAPs featured plenary sessions:
- The ‘What’s New In Obstetrics: SMFM Lecture: a presentation on the latest updates on tranexamic acid for management of postpartum hemorrhage (Dr. Luis Pacheco, UTMB, Galveston)
- The Gerard W. Ostheimer Lecture reviewing the best and most relevant articles published in 2019 (Dr. Ron George, UCSF, San Francisco)
- The Fred Hehre Lecture (Dr. May Pian-Smith, MGH, Boston)
As in previous years, you are invited to join our clinical experts for 4 very different Workshops:
- Pre-SOAP Annual Meeting: “Teaching in the Modern Era” (Wednesday afternoon, May 12, 2020)
- Post-SOAP: Cardiac Ultrasound (TTE) Hands-On Workshop (Saturday afternoon, May 16, 2020)
- Post-SOAP: POCUS Expansive Hands-On Workshop (Sunday morning, May 17, 2020)
There will be three international symposiums this year, each will be held on Sunday morning, May 17, 2020 (post-SOAP Annual Meeting)
- The Francophone Symposium will propose clinical lectures on ‘How We Do It in Canada, France, Belgium, Switzerland’
- The Joint Japanese Society of Anesthesiology (JSA)/SOAP Symposium: ‘Promoting Safe Obstetric Anesthesia’
- The Chinese Symposium will propose guest lectures in English and scientific abstracts from research China
- The Opening Networking Welcome Reception (Wednesday, May 13, 6-9pm)
- The Fellow, Resident and Medical Student Reception (Thursday, May 14, 6-9pm)
- The International Networking Evening (Thursday, May 14, 6-9pm)
- The Gala Evening (Saturday, May 16, 6-11pm) featuring a Guest Speaker, Dinner, and Dancing
- SOAP Engagement Lounge (chat and have coffee) in the Exhibit Hall located adjacent to lecture halls at the Halifax Convention Centre
- Abstract submission website will be open for submissions early December 2019
- Deadline for Abstract submissions: Monday, February 3, 2020
- Our goal is to notify authors of whether their submission has been accepted by February 28, 2020.
- You will receive ample information (tutorials) on how to submit your abstracts and prepare presentation (plenary presentation, Electronic Poster discussion, Paper Poster presentation)
Please follow SOAP on Facebook (@SOAPHQ) and Twitter (@SOAPHQ) for more information and updates.