SOAP Young Investigator Grant
THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE FOR THE 2020 SOAP YOUNG INVESTIGATOR GRANT IS DECEMBER 9, 2019.
The Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology has established a grant to allow individuals in the early stages of an academic career to obtain funding for a research project.
Amount: $10,000 USD
Eligibility: Applicants must demonstrate that they are pursuing an academic career in Obstetric Anesthesia through one of the following:
- Currently enrolled in an ACGME-accredited Obstetric Anesthesiology Fellowship, or international equivalent accreditation.
- Residents accepted into an obstetric anesthesia fellowship, but who have not yet started, can be eligible but will not receive funds until they matriculate.
- Fellows in a non-ACGME accredited fellowship (US or international) must have their fellowship director submit a description of the fellowship activities to demonstrate substantial equivalency of the training and research environment.
- Obstetric anesthesia faculty member within two years of completion of their accredited (or equivalent) fellowship.
Application Period: Applications may be submitted now through December 9, 2019.
Application: The applicant must submit a proposal containing the following documents:
- Description of the proposed project of up to three (3) double spaced pages, 10-point font, with no less than 0.5-inch (2 cm) margins, containing:
- Background statement
- Clear hypothesis
- Statement of achievable Aim(s)
- Curriculum vitae
- Budget statement, including supplemental funding where appropriate (single page)
- A letter of support from the Program Director, if current resident / fellow, or from the Chairperson, if junior faculty
- A letter of support from the mentor (if not one of the above)
- If applicable, IRB approval should be obtained (or be in process)
Applications should be submitted to SOAP at email@example.com, with “SOAP Young Investigator Grant” in the subject line.
Process: Grant applications will be reviewed by the Research Committee with the decisions on funding made by February 2020.
The deadline is December 9, 2019 for SOAP members planning to submit a SOAP 2020 Young Investigator Grant proposal. Up to two proposals may be funded, based on the quality of the applications.
This $10,000 grant does NOT include any institutional indirect costs, and it is expected that in many cases departmental funds will supplement the grant. This small, starter grant is not intended for, and is insufficient for, funding salary for the PI or mentor. Although it is impossible to list all possible appropriate items that could be included in a budget, in general, most will include items such as laboratory supply costs, required specialized software or hardware, partial technician or research coordinator salary, research pharmacy charges, statistical consultation, etc.
The funded applicant will be expected to submit a progress report every six months until completion of their project, including completed activities, remaining needs, and current status of the funds. The funded applicant is required to remain a SOAP Member for the duration of the award. Unused funds at the end of the project must be returned to SOAP. The funds are intended for the project described in the application. Except for minor changes, if the project cannot be completed for any reason as outlined in the application, the applicant must immediately inform the SOAP Research committee chair. The Chair or may approve the changes or request termination of the project and return of remaining funds, as appropriate.
Philip E. Hess, MD
Chair, SOAP Research Committee