Global Health Opportunities
Jointly The SOAP International Outreach Committee coordinates efforts of SOAP members doing international work and provides a forum to discuss global health opportunities in Obstetric Anesthesia. SOAP also offers a yearly grant (The SOAP/Kybele International outreach Grant), designed to encourage research in collaboration with developing countries with the goal of enhancing the practice of obstetric anesthesia in those countries.
Below is a list of useful websites that have a wealth of information for those interested in global outreach and for residents and fellows seeking training opportunities in global health. Please email Dr. Ashraf Habib with any additions or suggestions. Included topics:
- Information about groups performing global health work in Obstetric Anesthesia
- Information about Anesthesia Global Health Fellowships.
- Information about Women’s Health Global Fellowships.
- Information for anesthesia residents regarding Global Health Opportunities.
- Links of interest for Global Anesthesia work.
- Other links of interest for Global Health.
Groups performing Global health work in obstetric anesthesia
Kybele is a non-profit 501(c)3 humanitarian organization dedicated to improving childbirth safety worldwide through educational partnerships. Sites of current and previous projects include Armenia, Croatia, Egypt, Ghana, Georgia, Mongolia, Romania, Serbia, Turkey and Vietnam.
- No Pain Labor N’ Delivery:
No Pain Labor N’ Delivery” is a volunteer global health initiative to China that was initiated in 2006. The goal of “No Pain Labor N’ Delivery” is to establish more than 10 obstetric anesthesia training centers in 10 years across China and to increase the rate of neuraxial labor anesthesia use:
Anesthesia Global Health Fellowships
- Duke Global Health fellowship
- Harvard Global Women’s health fellowship:
The fellowship is open to health professionals of all specialties involving women’s health, including, but not limited to, obstetrics/gynecology, internal medicine, infectious disease, emergency medicine, med/peds, psychiatry, surgery, and anesthesia.
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Global Women’s health fellowship program
- Dalhouise Univesity Global Health Fellowship
- Stanford University Global Anesthesia
- University of Washington Fellowship in Global Health and Anesthesiology
- Vanderbilt Global Anesthesiology Fellowship
- Weill Cornell Anesthesiology Global Health Fellowship
Women’s Health Global Fellowships
- University Hospitals WONDOOR Global Health Program
- University of Pittsburgh Global Health Program in Reproductive Sciences (GHPRS)
- University of Washington, Women's Health International Program (WHIP)
- University of Illinois, College of Medince at Chicago, Global Health Womens Fellowship
- The UNC Global Women’s Health Fellowship
Information for residents regarding global health opportunities
- SEA HVO resident one month fellowship
- UCSF: MUSC International Anesthesia Residency Elective
- Information from ASA website
- Checklist from ABA
Links of interest for global anesthesia work
- Anesthesia for Global Outreach Course
- Alliance for surgery and anesthesia presence today (ASAP Today)
- Global partners in anesthesia and surgery (GPAS)
- Vanderbilt International Anesthesia
- UVA Global Health Initiatives
Other links of interest
- Mass General Hospital center for global health
- American College of surgeons
- Society for maternal fetal medicine global health corner
- Harvard department (Global Surgery Fellowship)
- Yale Global health scholars program
- Global Health and Innovation conference, Yale University
- Medecins Sans Frontieres